So, we’re pretty sure you’ve seen these odd looking tools all over your social media feeds or and you might be wondering if they actually work. We’re going to explain what these amazing tools are and the role (see what we did there) they should play in your skin care routine.
Let’s start with what Gua Shas and Face Rollers actually are and where they originally came from. Coming from China, the Gua Sha and Face Roller tools have been used for many, many years (we’re talking ancient times) as a beauty tool. So really, it's not actually a new technique or "new trend" at all! Usually, made out of some sort of crystal, these tools were created as a massage technique designed to relieve tension in the muscles of the face, boost blood circulation and encourage lymphatic drainage to banish bloating.
The Face Roller
A Face Roller is a skin care tool designed to gently massage the face using a rolling technique which stimulates blood flow and effectively decreases puffiness and increases your skin’s natural glow and radiance.
Does it really work?
If used correctly and constantly, YES! This technique of a rolling massage over the skin is effective in draining excess fluid from the face and, with regular use you will definitely see some beautiful results. Keen now to try it yourself? We love Salt By Hendrix Face Roller
How to use a face roller.
- Make sure your skin is clean! Cleanse your skin from all make-up and build up.
- Apply your fave serum. You do not want to use your Face Roller on dry skin. It may cause irritation and won’t give the full effect. Using an oil/serum will give it that slip it needs. Not to mention, the Face Roller will really penetrate those serums/oils into your skin.
- Start rolling! TIP - Always roll upwards, never down! Gently begin massaging your face and neck in upward and outward motions, starting from the neck and moving along your chin, cheeks, and very gently around the eye area. This should take you 5-10 minutes.
- Continue with the rest of your skincare! TIP - Leave in your fridge for a cooling sensation.
Similar to the Face Roller, Gua Shas are also used for energy flow and blood circulation. However, this technique is a little different. Instead of a rolling and massaging motion, the Gua Sha is used with more of a scraping motion. Sounds harsh on the skin, right? Well, if used incorrectly, it can be. BUT if used correctly, the Gua Sha is an absolute game changer!
Does it really work?
Again, if used correctly and consistently, YES! The Gua Sha helps promote blood circulation, improves fine lines and wrinkles, relieves tension and promotes lymphatic drainage. Not to mention, it can create the appearance of a more defined face!
Bet you’re wondering if it hurts? No! It shouldn’t hurt at all! If anything, it should feel pretty satisfying. But really, you’re the one in control so you’ll be able to determine how much pressure your skin can take! Want to give it a go? We love Salt By Hendrix Gua Sha – Rose Quartz.
How to use a Gua Sha.
Taken a look at this rock and asked yourself “What the hell do I do with this?” It definitely is a weird looking thing, but it’s quite simple to use:
- Prep your skin! Cleanse & apply a serum/oil.
- Hold the Gua Sha tool with the curved side to your face and scrape it gently upwards and outwards. Start from your neck working your way up the face. Scrape between three and five times per area. Use short strokes and NEVER go back and forth.
- Finish with laying the Gua Sha flat to the skin to smooth and de-puff any areas.
Continue with the rest of your skincare! TIP - unlike the Face Roller, the Gua Sha shouldn’t be kept in the fridge! Leave this at room temperature
So, have the Face Roller & Gua Sha won you over yet? Mhmm, thought so!
Click here to view the Salt By Hendrix Range. A beautiful Sydney-based company that we are so excited to stock! Not only do they create the Gua Sha & Face Roller in both “Jade” and “Rose Quartz”, they also create luxury skin care products.
With most of Aussie states in lockdown at the moment, there’s no better time to support local and being your own skin therapist!