Acids & Retinols
If you already have these powerful ingredients in your skin care routine, Autumn is the time to change to products with more gentle forms of Acids and Retinols. Because your skin’s sensitivity might adapt to the cooler weather, using products with lower levels of Acids & Retinols will help avoid skin irritations. So really, it’s not about eliminating them completely, it about making a few subtle changes, so that you’re still able to feel the benefits of these ingredients but in lower doses or different forms like Retinal, AHAs or Mandelic Acid.
Some of our favourite Acid and Retinol products for Autumn include;
- Crystal Retinal by Medik8 - an entry level retinal serum for those who have sensitive skin or seek a low strength but highly effective vitamin A serum in their routine.
- Aspect Dr AHA/BHA Cleanser - Effectively cleanses and gently exfoliates the skin providing a deeper clean
- Medik8 Clarifying Foam - An exfoliating blend of mandelic acid and salicylic acid is teamed with natural tea tree oil to renew and detoxify the complexion, while soothing niacinamide calms the appearance of problematic skin.
Introducing oils to your skin care routine can be very daunting especially, if you have done whatever you can to avoid your skin looking oily during Summer. But… skin care products with the right oil combination will help your skin to improve moisture retention whilst nourishing your skin. We recommend;
- O Cosmedics Vitamin C Hemp Seed Oil 30ml - A simple yet innovative formulation combining two oil soluble actives that offer a potent range of skin benefits.
- Cosmedix Micro Defense Microbiome Sheet Mask - Sodium Hyaluronate, Almond and Coconut oils combine to instantly nourish and plump skin, helping to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
One of our favourite ingredients here at John Essa! This ingredient does so many amazing things for your skin, like;
- Brighten & boost your skin
- Help maintain your summer glow in the cooler months
- Correct and reverse the damage caused by sun exposure
Honestly, we could go on and on about how awesome Vitamin C is but instead, here’s a list of our some our Vitamin C product picks
- Daily Radiance Vitamin C by Medik8 - Energise your skin each morning with Daily Radiance Vitamin C, a hydrating vitamin C cream with a light, cashmere texture
- Triple C by Societé - A revolutionary and fast-absorbing blend of three unique and different forms of stabilised Vitamin C: Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Ascorbyl Glucoside and Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate.
- Active C Serum by Aspect Dr - A powerful antioxidant and peptide serum, formulated with Vitamin C to help firm the surface of skin and promote elasticity for a radiant complexion.
Balm or Oil based Cleansers
Because your skin will naturally slow it’s oil production in Autumn and Winter, using gentle cleansers that have a balm, cream or oil component and consistency, will help regulate and maintain your skin’s oil production and ‘glow’.
Moisturising Skin Care Products
One of the most essential products that should be carefully selected to use during the cooler months in Autumn and Winter. Why? Well, because the cool and dry air can really impact your skin especially around your eyes and lips which can also increase the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!
And it’s not just your actual moisturiser you need to review but also other skin care products like masks, serum and balms with a higher hydration function are best for Autumn as well!
One hydrating mask we recommend is; Intense Hydration Sheet Masks by Aspect - A luxurious sheet mask enriched with Vitamins, Minerals, Botanical Actives and Hyaluronic Acid to deliver intense hydration for dewy, glowing skin.
For some, the thought of applying a thicker moisturiser can make them cringe. But applying a thicker and richer moisturiser is important in sealing in the hydration. Think about the impacts of the cool air outside and central heating inside. If having a richer moisturiser makes you anxious, then you could find oil free products to replace others in your regime. It’s all about balance and what works for you.
We love Aspect Dr Resveratrol – a rich moisturising cream, containing peptides and resveratrol to help firm the surface of skin for a more youthful looking complexion.
This is a must-have all year round! It’s essential that an SPF is part of your skincare regime during the winter as the sun’s UV rays are just as harmful (remember, the radiation from the sun can penetrate through windows). You can find lots of daily moisturisers and makeup that have SPF protection, like; CoverShield SPF15 by Societé.
Probiotic skincare works in much the same way that probiotic supplements do on our gut – they help it to maintain balance. Reveal radiant looking skin with Aspect’s Probiotic Mask, a luxurious hydrating mask, containing probiotics and antioxidants to deliver an infusion of nutrients to dry, dehydrated skin.
Where to start
Start your new Autumn skin care regime with a gentle at-home peel. Removing dead skin cells from the top layer of your skin will help you kickstart your new routine and allow all the new and different levels of skin care ingredients absorb for ultimate results. Check out Aspect Dr Lanazyme Micro Peel - An advanced peeling gel formula containing a complex of fruit enzymes, Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Lanablue ™ that work synergistically to exfoliate lifeless skin cells and smooth skin texture, revealing a more radiant complexion.
- Highly effective at-home treatment
- Smoothing, exfoliating enzyme gel that evens skin texture and clarity
- Leaves skin looking supple and luminous
We hope this information helps your start your Autumn Skin Care Routine. If you have questions or any other skin care topics, you would like us to cover, get in touch via our website, we would love to hear from you.